- Cast & crew
- User reviews
Anne with an E
- 2017–2019 2017–2019
- TV-PG TV-PG
- Moira Walley-Beckett
- Amybeth McNulty
- Geraldine James
- R.H. Thomson
- 1.1K User reviews
- 37 Critic reviews
- See more at IMDbPro
- 24 wins & 53 nominations
- Anne Shirley-Cuthbert …
- Marilla Cuthbert
- Matthew Cuthbert
- Diana Barry
- Gilbert Blythe
- Rachel Lynde
- Mrs. Eliza Barry
- Jerry Baynard
- Ruby Gillis
- Mr. William Barry
- Jane Andrews
- Moody Spurgeon
- Sebastian 'Bash' Lacroix
- Charlie Sloane
- Tillie Boulter
- Billy Andrews
- Thomas Lynde
- All cast & crew
- Production, box office & more at IMDbPro
More like this
Did you know
- Trivia The title of each episode in season 1 is a quote from the 1847 novel 'Jane Eyre' written by Charlotte Brontë . The title of each episode in season 2 is a quote from the 1871 novel 'Middlemarch' written by George Eliot . The title of each episode in season 3 is a quote from the 1818 novel 'Frankenstein' written by Mary Shelley
- Goofs The freckles on Anne's face change position, colour and size between shots in every episode.
- Connections Featured in MsMojo: Top 10 Feminist Characters in Teen Shows (2020)
User reviews 1.1K
- Jan 27, 2020
- Will there be a season 4?
- I am very interested in starting this TV series, but I saw that it was canceled. Can anyone tell me (without spoilers, of course) if the series ended with cliffhangers? Or did it have a closed ending in the third season?
- May 12, 2017 (United States)
- Anne Tóc Đỏ
- Prince Edward Island, Canada
- Northwood Anne
- Northwood Entertainment
- Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC)
- See more company credits at IMDbPro
- Runtime 1 hour
Contribute to this page.
- IMDb Answers: Help fill gaps in our data
- Learn more about contributing
More to explore
A young orphan's arrival in Avonlea affects the hearts and minds of everyone she meets, beginning with the pair of aging siblings who take her in.
1. Your Will Shall Decide Your Destiny
A bungled message brings spirited orphan Anne Shirley to Green Gables, where unmarried siblings Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert are waiting for a boy.
2. I Am No Bird, and No Net Ensnares Me
A determined Matthew embarks on a journey to bring Anne home. Marilla is sick with worry but struggles to express her emotions.
3. But What Is So Headstrong as Youth?
Anne starts school in Avonlea and discovers she has much to learn. Marilla steps out of her comfort zone to attend a meeting for progressive mothers.
4. An Inward Treasure Born
A minister's advice prompts Marilla to question her choices. When tragedy strikes, Anne's intellect saves lives -- and her sullied reputation.
5. Tightly Knotted to a Similar String
Anne hosts Diana for her first "grown-up" tea, but the affair proves a bit too intoxicating. Matthew runs an errand of utmost importance.
6. Remorse Is the Poison of Life
Anne's resourcefulness mends fences with the Barrys when Minnie May falls gravely ill. An affecting loss stirs up memories of Marilla's past.
7. Wherever You Are Is My Home
With the future of Green Gables at stake -- and an ailing Matthew confined to bed -- Anne and Marilla move mountains to save their home.
Anne's beloved world of Green Gables becomes a much bigger place, with new faces and heartfelt lessons about love, loss and growing up.
1. Youth Is the Season of Hope
The Cuthberts' boarders stir excitement with a question: Could there be gold in Avonlea? Elsewhere, Gilbert makes a new friend at sea.
2. Signs Are Small Measurable Things, But Interpretations Are Illimitable
The steamer lands in Trinidad, bringing Bash face to face with his past. The Barrys get behind the gold rush, but Matthew and Marilla aren't so sure.
3. The True Seeing Is Within
An adventure away with the Barrys teaches Anne to trust her instincts. Marilla begins to suspect that her boarders aren’t as innocent as they seem.
4. The Painful Eagerness of Unfed Hope
Anne writes letters as an "agent of romance" while Diana trains at home to be a lady. A life-changing encounter steers Gilbert toward his destiny.
5. The Determining Acts of Her Life
A game of spin the bottle prompts burning questions about love and beauty. Anne and Cole bond over their differences as Gilbert makes his way home.
6. I Protest Against Any Absolute Conclusion
Anne faces the world with a shocking new look while the town preps for its annual Christmas pantomime. Gilbert and Bash join the Cuthberts for dinner.
7. Memory Has as Many Moods as the Temper
Cole accompanies the girls to Aunt Josephine's for a lavish party filled with surprises. Back at home, Marilla's health takes a worrisome turn.
8. Struggling Against the Perception of Facts
With a wedding on the horizon, Anne wonders what kind of bride she'd like to be. Marilla sees an oculist, and Bash meets a friendly face in "The Bog."
9. What We Have Been Makes Us What We Are
A brand-new teacher brings unconventional methods -- and a motorbike -- to Avonlea. Gilbert's plan to speed up his studies leaves Bash feeling lost.
10. The Growing Good of the World
Anne rallies her friends to save Miss Stacy in the wake of a disastrous incident. Bash gets an unexpected gift, and Cole makes a surprising choice.
A milestone birthday sparks a search for Anne's origin story as she sorts out matters of the heart and starts setting a course for her future.
1. A Secret Which I Desired to Divine
Anne meets a kindred spirit from a nearby Mi'kmaq village, then launches a bold quest for her 16th birthday: to learn about her lineage.
2. There Is Something at Work in My Soul Which I Do Not Understand
Anne revisits Saint Albans Orphanage to ask about her birth parents, and Mary's son Elijah returns home. Rachel decides Miss Stacy needs a suitor.
3. What Can Stop the Determined Heart
As Easter approaches, Mary falls seriously ill, and everyone steps in to help. The government opens a residential school in Halifax.
4. A Hope of Meeting You in Another World
While Bash looks for Elijah in Charlottetown, Anne vows to finish her search -- with or without Marilla's blessing. Back home, Diana longs for adventure.
5. I Am Fearless and Therefore Powerful
A dance practice stirs unfamiliar feelings between Anne and Gilbert. A desperate Bash writes to his mother in Trinidad.
6. The Summit of My Desires
At the county fair, Anne consults a fortune teller who claims to see love in her future. A nervous Gilbert prepares to meet Winifred's parents.
7. A Strong Effort of the Spirit of Good
After speaking her mind in print, Anne inflames the town -- but she refuses to be silenced. A secret drives Anne and Diana apart.
8. Great and Sudden Change
Ka'kwet runs away from school, and Miss Stacy weighs her options in the wake of tragedy. Aunt Josephine urges Diana to take the Queens entrance exam.
9. A Dense and Frightful Darkness
Anne confesses her feelings for Gilbert -- but is she too late? Meanwhile, Matthew helps Ka'kwet's family, and Bash's mother adapts to life in Avonlea.
10. The Better Feelings of My Heart
Change is in the air as Anne turns toward college to start the next chapter of her life. It's her biggest adventure to date.
More like this.
Questions? Call 1-844-542-4813
- Help Center
- Media Center
- Investor Relations
- Redeem Gift Cards
- Buy Gift Cards
- Ways to Watch
- Cookie Preferences
- Corporate Information
- Legal Notices
- Only on Netflix
Anne (British TV series)
|Directed by||Bruce Goodison|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Original release||2 January (2022-01-02) –|
5 January 2022 (2022-01-05)
Anne , subtitled One Mother's Story , is a British historical drama television miniseries developed by World Productions . Starring Maxine Peake as the titular campaigner Anne Williams , the four-part drama revolves around the Hillsborough disaster of 1989 and its aftermath. The series premiered on ITV on 2 January 2022 and aired for four consecutive nights. 
Cast [ edit ]
- Maxine Peake as Anne Williams
- Stephen Walters as Steve Williams
- Campbell Wallace as Kevin Williams
- Bobby Schofield as Michael Williams
- Lily Shepherd and Ellie May Davies as Sara Williams
- Clare Calbraith as Sheila Coleman
- Rob Jarvis as John Glover
- Matthew McNulty as Andy Burnham
- Polly Kemp as Ann Adlington
- Raymond Waring as Steve Hart
- Ian Puleston-Davies as Phil Scraton
- Gracie Kelly as Debra Martin
Production [ edit ]
Development [ edit ].
The series was in development as of 2018. After some deliberation, the dramatisation of Anne Williams' life and work by World Productions for ITV received approval from her real life daughter Sara, who was nine when the disaster occurred.  She would help with the script, written by Kevin Sampson , author of Hillsborough Voices . Bruce Goodison would direct and Simon Heath of World Productions would executive produce the drama. 
Casting [ edit ]
It was announced in September 2018 that Maxine Peake would star as Anne Williams. Stephen Walters would co-star as Williams' husband Steve. 
Filming [ edit ]
Principal photography was scheduled to begin on location in Liverpool in summer 2018.  Cast and crew were reported in Formby , at St George's Hall , and at Anfield that October.  Steve Kelly, who lost his brother Michael in the Hillsborough disaster and was consulted for the series, stated he did a "double take" watching Peake on set. 
Reception [ edit ]
Rotten Tomatoes reported an approval rating of 100% based on 7 reviews, with an average rating of 8.4/10. 
Awards [ edit ]
|2022||Best Mini-Series||Won |
(shared with )
References [ edit ]
- ^ Fearn, Rebecca (24 October 2021). "Maxine Peake's New Drama Tackles A Tragic Story" . Bustle . Retrieved 10 January 2022 .
- ^ "DRAMA – Anne – World Productions for ITV" . No Drama . Retrieved 10 January 2022 .
- ^ "Maxine Peake to play Hillsborough campaigner Anne Williams in TV drama" . BBC . Retrieved 10 January 2022 .
- ^ "Anne – Miniseries" . World Productions . 2019 . Retrieved 10 January 2022 .
- ^ "Filming of 'Anne' in Formby today - new Hillsborough drama about the inspirational Anne Williams" . Formby Bubble . 25 October 2018 . Retrieved 10 January 2022 .
- ^ "Anne Williams: Maxine Peake 'captures Hillsborough campaigner's spirit' " . BBC . 14 October 2018 . Retrieved 10 January 2022 .
- ^ "Anne" . Rotten Tomatoes . Retrieved 10 January 2021 .
- ^ @seouldramaawards (23 September 2022). "SDA 2022 winners" – via Instagram.
External links [ edit ]
- Anne at IMDb
- 2022 British television series debuts
- 2022 British television series endings
- Biographical television series
- British television docudramas
- 2020s British television miniseries
- Disaster television series
- Hillsborough disaster
- ITV miniseries
- ITV television dramas
- Television series based on actual events
- Television series set in 1989
- Television series set in 1990
- Television series set in 1991
- Television series set in 1993
- Television series set in 1997
- Television series set in 2009
- Television series set in 2010
- Television series set in 2012
- Television series set in 2013
- Television series by ITV Studios
- Television series by World Productions
- English-language television shows
- Television shows set in Merseyside
- Use dmy dates from April 2022
- Articles with short description
- Short description is different from Wikidata
- IMDb ID same as Wikidata
What does Anne mean?
STARTS WITH Ann-
ASSOCIATED WITH england , russia , princess , story (literary), green , saint , virgin
VARIANTS Aine , Ana , Anabel , Anci , Anechka , Anelie , Anet , Anett , Anette , Anh , Ania , Anica , Anika ▲ , Aniko , Anissa ▼ , Anita ▼ , Anitra ▼ , Anjanette , Anka , Anke , Anki , Ann ▼ , Anna ▼ , Annabel , Annabella , Annabelle , Annaelle , Annalisa , Anneke , Annelle , Annelore , Annetta ▼ , Annette ▼ , Anni , Annice , Annick , Annie ▼ , Annimae , Annina , Annis , Annise , Annora , Annus , Annuska , Anny , Anona , Anouche , Anouk , Anoushka , Anouska , Antje , Anushka , Anuska , Anya , Anyoushka , Anyshka, Anyu , Asya , Ayn , Hajna , Hana ▲ , Hanja , Hanka , Hanny , Nan ▼ , Nana , Nance , Nancee , Nancey , Nanci , Nancie , Nancy ▼ , Nanete , Nanette ▼ , Nanette ▼ , Nanice , Nanine , Nanni , Nannie ▼ , Nanny , Nanon , Nanor , Neti , Nettia , Nettie ▼ , Netty , Nina ▼ , Ninette , Ninon , Ninor , Ninoshka , Nita ▼ , Nona ▼ , Nonie , Oni , Onie ▼
SEE ALSO Anise , Annamaria , Anner , Marianne , Rexanne , Roseanne , Ysanne , Zoanne
ALTERNATIVE FORMS VIA ANNA, ANNIKA, HANNAH Anaca , Anaka , Anikee , Anique , Anja , Annah , Annaka , Annalee ▲ , Anneka , Annet , Annica , Annika , Anoesj, Hanna ▼ , Hanne , Hannie , Hena , Honna , Nani , Nanney
How popular is Anne?
Anne is a very popular first name for women (#85 out of 4276, Top 2%) and also a very popular surname for both adults and children (#47026 out of 150436, Top 31%). (2000 U.S. CENSUS)
Anne reached its top position of #57 in the U.S. during the years 1910-1919, and is presently at #599. (2018 BIRTH STATISTICS)
Which version is better?
Anne ▼ is alike in pronunciation to Ione ▼ , Win , Winne , Wyn , Wynn , Wynne and Yann . Other suggested similar-sounding names are Adde , Adine , Agie , Agna , Agnie , Agye , Aide , Aime , Aina , Alane , Alenne , Aline ▼ , Alle , Aloe , Alyne , Alynne , Ame , Amee , Amie ▼ , Amye , Anani , Anat , Anda , Ande , Andee , Andi ▲ , Andre , Andy , Ang , Ange , Angel ▼ , Angie ▼ , Angle , Angy , Anina , Anis , Annda , Annes , Annest , Annett , Annot , Annys , Anthe , Anwen , Arene , Arinne , Arna , Ase , Aure , Ave , Avie , Bonne , Dane , Dene , Gene ▼ , Gunne , Jane ▼ , Janne , Jenne , June ▼ , Kine , Lane , Lene , Minne , Mone , Renne , Sine and Tine . These names tend to be less commonly used than Anne.